Chuck Gordon, founder and CEO of SpareFoot joined us to talk about their Austin office space and his experience with different office spaces through the growth of his company. SpareFoot is the world’s largest, simplest and best marketplace for self-storage. They also provide leading web marketing solutions for storage operators. SpareFoot currently offices at 701 Brazos Street, Suite 700 Austin, TX 78701.
1. When you started SpareFoot, what was your first real (non-home) office like?
We got lucky and had a nice office (one room, part of a larger office) in the Omni as part of Capital Factory.
2. How important has office space been in the ability to attract the talent needed and foster the culture at SpareFoot?
Our office location is really a plus - everyone likes being downtown. It's hard to say definitively how it has impacted hiring, but I think if we were out in the boonies some folks wouldn't make the drive.
3. Any items you keep in your office for inspiration?
I have the first check we ever received and a can of Spotted Dick.
4. How challenging was finding the right space for you? Any good examples or pitfalls for another business owner to avoid?
For the first couple years, we took what we could get and were lucky to get something nice. Now that we are getting close to moving into our first office where we actually signed the lease ourselves, I can say that the process of finding, planning and moving is pretty time consuming and not too fun. My advice is to make sure you have someone on your team who can handle all the details - there are lots.
5. Could you describe the challenge between taking on too much space and not having enough room to grow?
It's always hard to plan for exactly what you'll need, especially when you're talking in years. We're leasing more than we need today and getting another company to sublet the extra space until we need it.
Thanks Chuck and a special shout-out to Rachel Greenfield, who is the market analyst at SpareFoot and helped us put this together. Reach out to them on twitter @SpareFoot!