Richardson, Texas is an affluent inner suburb of Dallas and home to The University of Texas at Dallas. Richardson is also home to the Telecom Corridor, a technology-focused business center made up of over 25 million square feet of office space and employing over 82,000 people. There are over 5,000 businesses and corporations operating out of Richardson, including some of the world’s largest telecom/networking companies – AT&T, Ericsson, Verizon, Cisco Systems, Samsung, MetroPCS, Texas Instruments and more. In 2004 Richardson became the first city in North Texas to be recognized as a “Best Workplace for Commuters” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Transportation, an accolade it still prides itself on today. The area around modern day Richardson was originally settled in the 1840s by settlers traveling from Kentucky and Tennessee. Named after railroad contractor, E.H. Richardson, Richardson was chartered in 1873. The population of Richardson and the surrounding communities began to swell in the early part of the 20th century, after the Texas Electric Railway added a nearby stop, connecting the burgeoning city with nearby cities like Denison, Waco, Corsicana and Fort Worth. The completion of the Red Brick Road (now Greenville Avenue) in 1924 significantly increased traffic into Richardson which simultaneously increased population and drove up property values. Richardson was incorporated as a city in 1925. After World War II and throughout the 1950s, Richardson’s population continued to skyrocket. The city experienced a big commercial boom during this time as well, sparked by the opening of the Collins Radio Richardson office, the Central Expressway, and Texas Instruments, which set up shop in 1956. While the residential boom eventually slowed down in the 1980s, the commercial boom continued to gain momentum. By 2002, Richardson had four Dallas Area Rapid Transit light rail stations, servicing a population of over 90,000 people.
Find Plano office space